There’s a misconception about brands and branding that we need to clear up—it’s not just huge, multinational companies that have “brands.” Every business is a brand, whether you’re a divorce lawyer in Indianapolis or a tech giant in Silicon Valley.
A wise man named Seth Godin once said of branding:
“A brand is the set of expectations, memories, stories and relationships that, taken together, account for a consumer’s decision to choose one product or service over another. If the consumer (whether it’s a business, a buyer, a voter or a donor) doesn’t pay a premium, make a selection or spread the word, then no brand value exists for that consumer.”
A business owner who doesn’t consider their business to be a “brand” will never be as successful as one who embraces the ideas of shared expectations, stories, memories and (most importantly) the relationships your customers crave and expect from working with you.
A Note on Branding and Visual Identity for Law Firms
Some people get hung up on the visual side of branding (to their detriment).
While branding is the overall package when it comes to leaving an impression on your customers, visual identity is a smaller (though important) aspect of branding at large.
The thing is that most small to medium-sized law firms we see have a very poor visual identity. Oftentimes, that identity is either nonexistent, uninspired, misses the mark, or it’s inconsistent.
The main point of building a solid brand is the concept of mindshare. Great branding and a consistent visual identity will bolster your sales pitch, make your firm easily identifiable and influence visitors to take action. So how do we accomplish that?
What Makes Up Great Law Firm Visual Identity?
Your firm’s visual identity is built on tons of different factors, including but not limited to:
- Font style
There are no copy-and-paste rules for creating a timeless, memorable brand—you just need to have experience, which Legal Legends certainly does.
The key to creating a solid visual identity is to reinforce a customer’s expectations about your brand while simultaneously delivering an experience that will stick in their mind. The firms that win the most business are the ones who create a real connection with their customers.
5 Law Firm Branding and Visual Identity Mistakes We See Every Day
It’s tough to just look at what other brands are doing right and then try to make the same designs, logos, color schemes, etc. work for your firm. So instead of pointing out what other law firms are doing correctly, let’s talk about what we see people getting wrong—over and over again.
These mistakes will absolutely kill your brand, and correcting them is one of our top priorities with new clients.
- Bad (or no) Logo: Your logo needs to be simple and elegant, not flashy and intricate. Better to go with NO logo than one of those abstract logos that are better suited for a modern art exhibit than a professional website.
- Poor color choices: The best color schemes have a series of base darks and whites with one accent color. Many professional sites we see are just all over the place when it comes to colors.
- No unified font choice: Fonts really, really matter. Picking the right fonts will make your firm stand out in a good way, but most law firms miss the boat. Ideally, all of your materials will have a unified font direction, from signs to marketing documents.
- No brand graphics: Graphics are easily digestible and help communicate with clients in a way that words sometimes can’t. Most law firms we see are using dated or even irrelevant graphics which can only hurt your identity.
- Bad pictures: It has never been easier to get high-quality photos, yet this is one area where law firms consistently fall short. The worst offenders are even using pictures that are totally irrelevant for their practice specialization. For reference, this is what your firm could look like when you embrace pro-quality images for your site.
In general, most modern law firm sites simply don’t reach the level of quality and professionalism that clients expect from your practice. Sometimes it pays to have an expert give a second opinion.
Legal Legends Does Legal Branding Like Nobody’s Business
We excel at giving small and medium-sized law firms blockbuster brands with the power to hit way harder than their weight class implies. That’s because:
- We create the best logos.
- We choose the best fonts.
- We devise the most influential color schemes.
- We deliver awesome graphics.
- We help our clients obtain the most professional photos.
- And, we help you build incredible brand assets around those visuals.
If you’ve ever wanted your firm to look and feel like the Apple/Mercedes/Tesla of personal injury/workers comp/business/et cetera law, it’s time to get serious about branding and visual identity.
Your customers deserve the best, and we’re going to give it to them.